Friday, March 15, 2013

Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park 2011-2012-2013


Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park



Every once in a while things work well....Glenbow Ranch is Alberta's newest Provincial Park

The province was donated some land between Calgary and Cochrane AB. along the north side of the  Bow River.  With the help of amazing volunteers they have done a splendid job....Paved pathways for bikes and golf carts for disabled persons...and gravel paths for walkers....The hills are steep and long but worth the efforts..There always seems to be a slight breeze coming up the valley so even on a warm day its pleasent...Although I always go in the morning because I don't get along with the hot sun....and Oliver is black!

Some days (in June) when I am thwarted by rain, I enjoy every minute.  This day I dressed appropriately and made it to the lookout point before I hightailed it back to the car for shelter...but even in the car I was snapping photos, jump out for a shot, jump back in till it subsided a bit...Never did get for a long walk, but spent over an hour there. Sometimes just sitting in the car listening to the rain ;-)


Rain rolling down the valleys.



Looks like I really don't have to travel across the country to get some photos. but ;-) I probably will...

Looking west toward Cochrane AB. 
If you look closely you can see the network of paths through the area. I haven't been on this path (Badger Bowl) yet, it's quite the distance...Next summer.



Often the mountains in the distance look like clouds. They become the same color.

I was also pleased to hear that the park has now become part of the TransCanada Trail!!!



All along the trails native plants have been introduced, although all the fields are just covered. Depending on what week you walk again a whole different view can be seen...beautiful. 
















What patterns nature creates!



View east towards Calgary






Another stint in the car  ;-)
Never mind listening to the rain, Oliver was snoring in the back seat ;-)
And if the truth be told, I may have had a few minutes nap also?
You can see city on the horizon. when the clouds lift a bit. Not so far away!




June 2/12 and another favorite prairie flower of mine called Old Man's Whiskers


Little Beauty in abundance.






Some of the areas are protected therefore the barb wire fence but there is also livestock still on the fields also....



View looking south over the old original homestead along the river. My mountains are not so far away either.

I haven't identified these flowers yet.....this retired lady is busy!



A week later would have been perfect for these bluebells
actually the blooms are both pink and blue.


Blue Flax


Of course it doesn't matter what time of year you walk, it will always be interesting..
Perhaps in Sept. the fields are not covered in wild flowers but you get lots of color no matter.

Wild Rose Hips (and a hitchiker)




You have a variety of walks you can choose when entering the park. You can either walk along the Yodel trail out in the open with great views or you can choose to walk through the aspens, the Tiger Lily loop. 











































Tiger Lily loop



Look in the trees and you can find an old car (vintage??)
How many yrs. ago did it outlive it's usefullness and someone left it in the bush for trees to eventually grow all around.

Beginning of Tiger Lily Loop







Interesting cloud formations on breezes coming from the north over the ridge. 

This walk is shady for the most part, but the final pull is uphill and open.



Natural grasses out in open, dryer..


Poor Oliver doesn't do well in the hot sun. We finally found a shady spot and a cool boulder to sit for quite a while.
I always carry extra water for him. He couldn't even stand to drink...Fell dead asleep for about 1/2 hour then was ready to head her home....(me too)



Old guy is 13 yrs. old now and actually does very well for his age, unless the sun is warm. Actually the sun does us both in....Morning walks are the best for both of us...







Found a little bit of interesting history about the park

http://www.albertaparks.ca/glenbow-ranch/information-facilities/history.aspx 


 Hope you enjoyed our local walk.....this lady does not have to go afar to find photos.

 Update: I mustered another walk in late March 2013. We have had a hard March, March is usually hard for me as I usually have spring fever by that time and spring just never seems to come!  This March has been cold, windy and more and more snow...I have known years I could rake the back yard dry, in Feb. Certainly not this year, we received close to 20cm mid March and it still has not disapeared....A couple of nice days +12 then right back cold again
. This walk was March 23 and the snow has just recently started disapearing on walks and sunny spots, this day even the wind was warmer....


Paths are more visible without all the green.


Postcard perfect


What is living here?

Blue Blue Sky



As I was walking along the paths, I was watching for the first shoots of spring coming up. Maybe because I want it so badly, I'm sure I saw some movement just along the warmer pavement spots. I will have to watch in the coming weeks. I'm sure because it's so late this year, when it finally starts it should start quickly...The sun is already warmer, when your walking you always make sure when you stop you find a sunbeam.


Those winds always create interesting
cloud formations over the hilltops.
Oliver is waiting patiently (like he has a choice)
Exit to the park, last glimpse of my mountains.
 

1 comment:

  1. Loved it - and the postcard picture is wonderful!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete